SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mastclimber Safety Line
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Talking with a client that also happens to be a sailor. was telling him about my halarious attempt to use the ATN. prussic knot was his suggestion.. What if you have to go up and there are NO halyards? prussic knot He showed me how it's done with nylon webbing.. interesting... Prusik Knot | How to tie the Prusik Knot | Climbing Knots

You can climb a mast with just prusik knots. If you do that, I recommend carrying extra slings to tie more knots when you cross the spreaders. Doing that means that you do not have to untie and retie your knots while hanging onto the mast.

I'm a caver so I just use the system that I use for climbing out of pits. It is much more efficient that the ATN. I also haul a piece of static caving rope up the halyard to make climbing easier. When I am done, I switch over and rappel down. To me this is much easier and safer, especially since I have the gear and have been doing vertical caves for over 30 years.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook