SailNet Community - View Single Post - new boat: insurance question
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
You sail without Sea Tow?
I also have sea tow. I have spoken to the guy in charge of towing. He seems pretty good. But sea tow is only for light groundings, not on rock or coral, that is salvage (although the sea tow guy seems a little lienient on this). My insurace also covers $500 towards tows. I sail in Hawaii, and there really is no such thing as a light grounding. Any damage to your boat (including a demasting) at sea could turn into a salvage. Salvage cost can be very high- into the thousands of dollars as the tow could be 75 miles in open ocean (35 knot winds and 15 foot breaking seas not uncommon in the channels between islands). I try to maintain the boat as best I can, but also want some insurace to cover salvage in case I need it. Even a minor problem could cost you your boat, and salvage cost could easily meet or exceed the cost of your boat. What would your insurance company do if the estimated salvage cost of your boat is more than the boat is worth? Would they just leave it adrift at sea (after you were picked up by coast guard)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook