SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Backing a sailboat into a slip

22K views 66 replies 44 participants last post by  CapitainMike 
#1 ·
This may sound stupid for a sailor of many years, but now that I have gotten over the one foot-itis and have a Newport 30, I find myself in a slip where I have to back into it...HELP...going forward is not an issue, but I nearly killed my wife trying to back in to the slip last weekend...what is the secret? (and "don't do it " has already been offered by several sailing "friends", or at least they were last week)...
thanks
Ed Simpson
s/v Das Dawg Haus

#30 ·
I agree with "fallard". The best way to come into a slip is to use the spring that that prevents you going any further in the direction you are going (whether it be forward or reverse).

If you set up an example - say port tie up, stern in. Before getting anywhere near the slip (berth?) all the port fenders should be ready to deploy as well as bow warp, bow springer, stern warp and stern springer. If I was reversing in and there was someone on the slip to assist, I would come in slow have a crew member throw the stern springer and ask the help to tie up on the forward cleat on the dock. If no one is there, a nimble crewman can do the the job. Regardless of what you do with the throttle or gears, the stern of the boat cannot possibly hit the end of the slip.

I have a 36' yacht and do a fair bit of single-handed sailing. I leave the stern springer tied off onto the forward slip cleat. With some scrap pieces of 50mm PVC we made up a hanger in which the loosely coiled stern springer sits. It is about 4' up from the slip to a 90 degree elbow. It then extends out about 3' into the slip. It is finished off with a "U" shaped piece of PVC in which the loosely coiled stern springer is located, already tied off to the slip. When coming into the slip I do not have to move from the tiller or throttle to pick up the springer. The stern springer cleat is also located near the tiller. Once the stern springer is in hand I quickly pass it under the life lines and rap it around the cleat.

I also know that if I cannot easily reach the springer from the helm position, then I am not correctly lined up. I put the vessel into forward and then come back and give it another go.

Once attached to the slip your next move is totally dependent on prevailing winds and currents.

Hope this helps
Ross

#31 ·
make sure you have a spring line long enough to go to the cleat or piling and back to the boat. That way when you leave you can loop it once around the piling and have the end on the boat so when you let it go you can just pull it in without having to jump back and forth from the dock to the boat

#34 ·
You don't say how much room you have around your slip. I single hand most of the time on my Newport 28, and regularly back into my slip. There's about two or three boat lengths between my slip and the one across from me, so I have plenty of room.

When docking, I go into neutral a bit before coming abreast of my slip and about halfway between my slip and the ones across from me, and try to time it so that I'm just about stopped when I pass my slip. Then I put her into reverse and watch what happens. Depending on the wind, she might immediately back to starboard and right into the slip. Most times, she starts prop walking to port, and if she goes far enough, I just keep backing around in a circle to port until I come back around and back straight into my slip. Kinda like a "chicken gybe," I "chicken reverse" till I'm pointed in the right direction.

I've also seen other sailboats go into reverse outside our slip "alley" and back all the way down the lane and into their slip.

I figure the point of the exercise is to get the boat into the slip as quickly and easily as possible, and I will not stand unnecessarily on my dignity to do so.

#35 ·
Backing into my slip would be much more difficult than backing out. Therefore bow in is perferred. Also have a windvan on stern, so banging that would do a lot more damage than potentially banging the bow. Also, due to wind vane, hard to fend the stern if that is what is needed coming in. There is a lot of space in the fairway, the problem is the yacht docked next to me in our double slip (no dock or pilings between me and the boat next to me on my starboard side). I am on a floating dock with good rubber on all edges, so even if I tap the dock without a fender, not much of a problem. Coming into the dock is not too bad, just aim the bow into the dock at about 45 deg and hit revese then the prop walk helps me by pushing the stern against the dock with the boat stopped, then jump off and tie her down.

Basically what I have herd here is there is really no way to just untie the boat and jump on, hit reverse and back out. The prop walk must be delt with in some way (primarily using lines to control the boat). I have found letting all dock lines free except for a line attached mid ship, then walking the boat out with this line works well. My boat weighs about 16,000 lbs and I am about at my limit to do this. Any larger boat or a strong wind it probably would not be practical and I would need some control lines to handle.

#36 ·
For several years I backed a 45' into a 32' long slip with a floating dock. I agree with everyone, get the boat moving so the rudder provides steerage. But the spring line was key. Since I too had trouble picking it up with a boat hook, I made a post by inserting a 1 1/4" wood dowel into a double thickness 12"X6"X1" base I'd drilled to match the post. A bicycle hook screwed into the side makes it easy to reach the dock line I'd hung there when leaving the dock. That set-up also made it easier to leave the dock in a cross wind. It worked so well, now that I have a slip where I enter bow first, I wouldn't be without it.

#37 ·
I used to own a Newport 30 - and backing it up is not as easy as you might wish. In my case, the key was to stop the boat, then apply reverse liberally to create sufficient speed. However, if you try to turn the boat at this point, you will find it very hard to control the rudder. So, once you have sufficient speed in reverse, put the gear in neutral/idle. Now you will be able to control the rudder, and your turn, much more easily. Practice in open water first. I think that you will be surprised at the amount of control that you have this way.

#39 ·
PVC Spring line Contraption

heyross can you post a picture of the PVC spring-line contraption you talked about in your thread?

Most marinas don't give you enough room to accelerate to get steerage when going in reverse. You can't "line-up" for your slip with 40' between slip ends and a 36' boat, wind, and current, good luck getting enough speed to steer your boat.:(

As for backing in, backing out, pulling in forward, and or pulling out forward, no matter what boat, what size, or what current, or what wind, it all comes down to practice, lines, and cleats.:D

#42 ·
What about BIG boats?

All of your posts are very interesting - but what about backing in a BIG boat? How do you know your bow is following your stern and not moving off into unwanted territory? Given the size of my boat (an H410) stern docking is actually preferable to bow docking unless I'm lucky enough to get an end dock. Bill on STARGAZER

#43 ·
All of your posts are very interesting - but what about backing in a BIG boat? How do you know your bow is following your stern and not moving off into unwanted territory? Given the size of my boat (an H410) stern docking is actually preferable to bow docking unless I'm lucky enough to get an end dock. Bill on STARGAZER
Good question. In a tough crosswind, the bow is much harder to control when backing up. I have no reservation using the bow thruster to compensate.

#47 ·
what is it you want todo really???

first a bit of applied psychology::cool:
What is it you really want todo?:confused:

Get your boat in there without damage to yours and the others:)
or perform a "look how good a sailor I am" circus trick for the attending pontoon audience.:rolleyes:

in the second case then there's only one road to travel ...the one all other circus people who are succesfull do : practice practice practice ...
hence the very good advice to practice a few hours in an empty bassin...

In the first case ... why not go in there in the way you feel comfortable...
Forward...!! and then turn the boat with lines or if there's not enough space bring her in with long lines altogether, going ashore with your dinghy first..;
What you need is just a bit of selfrespect and respect for your boat and the one of others ... disregarding with despise the "sailors" who stand on land
(and who always know better anyway)
Is'nt sailing something you do for yourself ...not for the others? well then!!!

In the Med where this backing on the anker is standard procedure I always do it with lines or go in there with a dinghy first, my boat at anker somewhere outside to have a look first what and how todo... no lurury for a single hander!!
Professional sailors with bigger boats than ours do it like that, here in the Antwerp ( Belgium)Container port... or they have assistance from pilot tow boats...is'nt that the equivalent of some smart and decent line work at our level?? Doing this, your wife will be very calmly mixing the drinks already ... what do you think?
So the question remains:
why do we have to be irresponsible "show of circus artists?";)
just for the amusement of the pontoon folks who sometimes do not even know the first thing about boating?

stefke

#49 ·
first a bit of applied psychology::cool:
What is it you really want todo?:confused:

Get your boat in there without damage to yours and the others:)
or perform a "look how good a sailor I am" circus trick for the attending pontoon audience.:rolleyes:

in the second case then there's only one road to travel ...the one all other circus people who are succesfull do : practice practice practice ...
hence the very good advice to practice a few hours in an empty bassin...

In the first case ... why not go in there in the way you feel comfortable...
Forward...!! and then turn the boat with lines or if there's not enough space bring her in with long lines altogether, going ashore with your dinghy first..;
What you need is just a bit of selfrespect and respect for your boat and the one of others ... disregarding with despise the "sailors" who stand on land
(and who always know better anyway)
Is'nt sailing something you do for yourself ...not for the others? well then!!!

In the Med where this backing on the anker is standard procedure I always do it with lines or go in there with a dinghy first, my boat at anker somewhere outside to have a look first what and how todo... no lurury for a single hander!!
Professional sailors with bigger boats than ours do it like that, here in the Antwerp ( Belgium)Container port... or they have assistance from pilot tow boats...is'nt that the equivalent of some smart and decent line work at our level?? Doing this, your wife will be very calmly mixing the drinks already ... what do you think?
So the question remains:
why do we have to be irresponsible "show of circus artists?";)
just for the amusement of the pontoon folks who sometimes do not even know the first thing about boating?

stefke
I always go in bow first, its the best for me. Look at the fishermen's boats in the Med always in bow first. good enough for them it's good enough for me. Though I do more bow out in the winter but then there is lots of space
the small ones come out on the quay the big ones stay in the water and then you get boat space, boat space, boat space, boat space, plenty of room to port and starboard.

#48 ·
I believe I can honestly say that I don't care one bit whether the peanut gallery likes the method I may use for any particular docking. These are my sole standards:

Nothing broken or scratched
No contact with anyone else's boat
No yelling or panic

Bonus points if it works on the first try. Doctoral degree if you kiss the fenders to the dock like Capt Ron.

Dock hand assistance, bow thrusters, spring lines, whatever, are all acceptable.

#50 ·
Backing a sailboat

The key to backing a sailboat is the shift lever if you have excessive prop walk. Use reverse to get the boat moving backward but immediately shift to neutral and coast. Shift back into reverse to pick up speed then back to coast mode. This minimizes prop walk and allows the water moving past the rudder to bring the stern in line. You may also find the bow swinging out as the boat moves backward with the rudder turned. Often a quick pop into forward will bring the bow back in. It's all in the shift lever feathering it back in forth; with a little help from the rudder.

#52 ·
stefke, je hebt gelijk, but we're not on an anchor or mooring buoy, we are talking slips here. Most slips rented here in the States are length wise 10% to 15% under the boat length and most likely from 11 (3,33m) to 13.5ft (4,10m) wide for a 27'(8,10m) to 36'+ (11m) boats. So when trying to back up a 34' (10,3m)sailboat in a 30'(9m) slip that is 12'(3,63m) wide and your beam is 10.5'(3,18m) wide it doesn't matter if you have prop-walk, fenders(stoot-billen), lots of lines, dinghies, helpers on land and on the boat, etc., etc. All that matters is to go slow (no steerage) and have confidence that you will not damage anything, and practice and practice.
With 10% to 15% of your boat sticking out beyond thew finger pier/dock a lot of other factors, such as current and wind can play havoc on you.
Practice, practice, and go slow, forward or reverse doesn't matter as it most likely is always a "crap-shoot" but practice makes it seem easier to bystanders.

#63 ·
Most slips rented here in the States are length wise 10% to 15% under the boat length and most likely from 11 (3,33m) to 13.5ft (4,10m) wide for a 27'(8,10m) to 36'+ (11m) boats. So when trying to back up a 34' (10,3m)sailboat in a 30'(9m) slip that is 12'(3,63m) wide and your beam is 10.5'(3,18m) wide it doesn't matter if you have prop-walk, fenders(stoot-billen), lots of lines, dinghies, helpers on land and on the boat, etc., etc. All that matters is to go slow (no steerage) and have confidence that you will not damage anything, and practice and practice.
This is a real good point. Many have talked about using lines to control the boat when coming in or leaving. This is great when the slip configuration allows it. EJO makes a good point. Most of the slips that I've been in are shorter than my boat length and my current slip is narrow enough that I can barely have two fender widths between me and the boat next to me in the slip. Add to that an alley between docks that is about as wide as my boat is long, backing into the slip is way beyond my skill level. Given adverse wind and current, it can be a challenge even to come in bow first. Any docking that doesn't break, bend, or scratch anything is one that I consider successful.

Dave

#53 ·
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS another bout of the 7 Ps Rule planning ppreperation practice prevents piss poor performance. Get yourself in some open and safe water and play at parking the R-send near to a floating then a fixed thingy. To Denise She does Lie about her age She's doe'nt look old enoughf to be 30 AND IF MULTI HULL IS A GOOD DIEA WHY DON'T WE HAVE A MULTI HULL FISH? GO SAFE

#54 ·
The boat will back fine, but remember it takes about a boat length or 2 of movement to overcome the prop walk. Give your self enough room to get some sternway. Depending on your dock location that might mean backing down the alley. To get started accelerate hard in reverse for about 10 seconds, the stern will start to walk to port. Once you see the boat moving backward, power down and go to neutral, steer slightly to starboard to counteract the prop walk. Give another 10 second burst of reverse. you should have enough motion now for the rudder to be effective. Use reverse as necessary to drive into the slip.

#55 ·
Thank you, everybody - though this wasn't my question.

My malady was four times worse, as it was four-foot-itis ... from a very light, water-ballasted MacGregor 26X that lives on its trailer (properly described as a 26-foot sleepaboard sailing dinghy) to a Bristol 29.9 that I prefer, for now, to back into its slip. My first afternoon with "Halcyon" consisted of backing in, proceeding out, turning around and backing in again and again, until I felt reasonably competent in those wind and tide conditions.

One valuable suggestion I got from my broker is to leave one set of docklines permanently in place at my slip, so I don't have to roust 'em out when I "get home." Another is the use of a "spring line" to bring Halcyon to a stop with her stern the appropriate distance from the main dock; I have it secured to the same piling as the port bowline, and I've tied a large bight in the "boat end" that pulls me up 18 inches short of the dock when I drop the loop over my port-side genoa winch on the way in. And I took his suggestion to put a large bight in the "boat ends" of my bow lines, so I can just slip the line through the bow chocks and loop it over the horns of the bow cleats.

Prop walk is a new problem to me, after the MacGregor's outboard engine that's linked to the twin rudders. Your explanations and instructions will be a big help, when I put them into practice next time I go sailing Halcyon.

I have no shame about backing and filling all I need, to get Halcyon safely into the slip. I would rather bore my neighbors with my hesitations and false starts and "try-agains" than entertain (or upset) them with expensive noises from a "smartly done" entry gone horribly wrong!

#56 ·
Two dock lines from main dock at bow end if you are going in bow first. Tied together at the ends and in the water attached to buoy. Rope from the first buoy to a second buoy at the entrance/opening to the pylons line to an anchor if you are allowed outside the berth.

Slide up to the second buoy retrieve the buoy pull yourself in till you arrive at the first buoy. Pull up your permanent lines (Lazy Lines)attached to the dock. tie off at the bow return to stern taking centre line with you and tie off on buoy to anchor line. on completion you can then do what you want with the pylons.

#57 ·
Okay this having buoys, anchor lines, space to back-up to get steerage, all great and well if you have the room to do so and maneuver but in reality a lot of marinas are like this sketch
(open in separate window) try to maneuver your 32-36' boat around, especially when everybody is trying to leave to go down river to make the draw-bidge on time.
S/V 1 can just turn around in the 40'plus fairway between pilings (not boats), Remember boats can stick out 10% (3ft) past their 30' slips. It will be not easy to reverse a S/V 1, hey bow in and reverse out is hard enough. S/V 2 has it easier but they "overpay" for the larger slip. With the narrow slips all is iffy, the "expensive" slips 'A' can be lined with fenders/protective materials and all you could damage is your own boat. The 'B' slips without long finger piers give you a little more room to turn in/out, unless you have a 33' boat neighbor. As for a 36' boat (S/V 3)all is dicey in such a narrow marina, but it is done, even with a 35' slip and a 50' fairway it is hard.
Back to what is and has been said; only practice will make perfect and you'll keep your fingers crossed every time you try to dock. I like moderate wind and current(tide) as you can use it to your advantage (like having an extra drive/hand) Always have your mooring lines pre-set in your home slip so all you have to do is loop them around a cleat or make-fast point on your boat. And use a spring line to stop the boat.
99.99% of sailboats are designed to go forward with steerage (rudder) in the back, therefore it is always easier to go forward bow in first, they weren't designed to go backwards. It is like with cars they are designed to go forward and therefore are mostly parked front in first and we all know the front turns out far beyond what we expect when turning sharp while going backwards. (haven't we all been scratched/dented up in a rear quarter panel while parked at the grocery store):eek:

#58 ·
This whole discussion brings one point to my mind, and I am not criticizing anybody for the choices they make only pointing out that sometimes there are other options than a miserable docking situation.

I recently changed marinas and now pay more money for several reasons, not the least of which is that I can now dock bow in and have ample and abundant room to maneuver in and out in all but the most extreme conditions. Last marina was cheap but limited how I could approach, required backing in, my bow and my neighbor's bows all stuck out several feet beyond the pilings, and it was quite shallow. Every time I came in made me better at docking backwards and fortunately I didn't damage my or anybody else’s boats while working out a reliable technique (not everyone there can say that) but it is SOOOOO much nicer to come in and out without the worry.

Even though I could probably dock now by pulling in forward slowly and reversing to a stop then casually setting dock lines (not because I am good just that I now have plenty of room and a nice dock with a long finger pier), I still grab a center cleated line as I come in. One line cleated and the boat goes nowhere while I finish tying up. I actually tie two lines onto the boat before I come into the marina, both of them to the shroud bases one on each side and led back to the cockpit winches(I do not have a center cleat). They are nice to have at hand to toss around a piling or cleat and keep the boat from drifting around in the dock.

All very good advice on this thread. I am still waiting to see Captain Jack come in single handed with an outboard sputtering, crosswind of 10+, opposing current of 3+, 30ft fairway, and mega yachts each side (owners on deck watching and sipping brandy) with no center piling, a short finger pier and 4 inches to clear. That is a video I would pay to own ;)

#59 ·
All very good advice on this thread. I am still waiting to see Captain Jack come in single handed with an outboard sputtering, crosswind of 10+, opposing current of 3+, 30ft fairway, and mega yachts each side (owners on deck watching and sipping brandy) with no center piling, a short finger pier and 4 inches to clear. That is a video I would pay to own ;)
Absolutely! Sign me up for a copy of that video too!

#61 ·
casey that always depends on cost and is it a sailboat you damaged or a motorboat:D
But yea if you can't rub it out quick (i.e. no damage) always contact the boat owner.

#67 ·
If your not using it much and your diving put a bin liner over it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.