SailNet Community - View Single Post - Damp cabin
Thread: Damp cabin
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Some contrarian thinking

Ventilation will only get your air as dry as the exterior air. I don't know what evenings are like up in Toronto, but around here they're HUMID. All that moisture captured by the day's heat cools at night, and it practically condenses on your skin when you go outside. That's exactly what you'll get as your reward for cutting a bunch of holes in your boat to increase ventilation. I did NOT want that happening inside my boat.

I took the opposite view. Seal 'er up real tight and suck the moisture out. It's worked great for me, and the boat is dry as a bone every time I go there. Fortunately I have shore power to keep a dehumidifier running 24/7. It draws about 60w:

Tiny Dehumidifiers

Another source of condensation may be the cold water up in Toronto. If the inside of your hull is below the dew point of the air (another reason to dehumidify), you could get condensation anywhere below the waterline - settee lockers, V-berth, bilge, etc. Increasing ventilation to these areas might evaporate the condensation, but it could also INCREASE it. Think about it: You're constantly providing a fresh source of humid air to the cold surfaces below the water line. OTOH, insulating those areas could prevent the condensation from occurring. If you can insulate them well enough, LESS ventilation might actually be better.:

Using bubble wrap to minimize moisture in settee lockers?

About 80% of the people here will disagree with me on both of these things. Many of them are far more experinced sailors than I am. So take this contrarian thinking with a grain of salt. But my concepts are based on good science and engineering, so they're worth considering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-05-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook