SailNet Community - View Single Post - Route advice
Thread: Route advice
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
I too would be reluctant to start so late but if I did, I would pick a weather window (no hurricanes in the offing) and go Tortola to Florida none stop through the Old Bahama Channel staying on the Bahama side away from Cuban waters.

Beware of the St Augustine inlet in any kind of bad weather, a big power boat was lost there a few weeks back.

Then I would pick another weather window put her in the Gulf Stream and go outside Hatteras, the stick is unlikely to be ICW friendly on such a big boat, up to the Delaware

That big boat can do it to Florida in 7-8 days and another 6 to 8 days to Delaware.

Anything else keeps you in the hurricane zone for a longer period and there are very few safe havens en-route until you get to Florida. Also a tropical storm/hurricane when you are off-shore outside the Bahamas would be a very unpleasant affair. The only bail-out would be into the North East Providence Channel, any other entry would be lethal.

This routing and schedule is very hard work and if you both do not have off-shore experience you should find crew.

We left St Thomas May 30th heading south out of the hurricane zone! We lived in Miami for 4 hurricanes while owning a boat and would not like to repeat the experience.

Good luck,

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 06-05-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook