SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling

Here is our report as we transited both Narrows on Saturday 6/4/11. First our boat draft is spec'd. at 4'10'' but in reality it's around 5' 3" +/- with full fuel and water and all the wife's 'stuff'... We approached Knapps Narrows from the Choptank side-no issues. On the west side..that's a different story..we hit bottom just short of the first red day mark.. Shoaling defiantly was filling in from our starboard side where our chart plotter said we where in the channel. There is a 6mph float to our port side so we moved closer to that and found deeper water. The channel between the (2) red day marks and the last green day mark is not very wide and shoaling was encroaching from our starboard side.

We knew we where back in the land of power boats as we approached Eastern Bay where the ratio of power to sail is much greater than what we experienced during our year and half on the Choptank..I guess we kinda got spoiled... On the south side of Kent Narrows-no issues. On the North side..again a different matter..stay to starboard as there is definitely shoaling, encroaching from our port side, beginning just before day mark 4 and the last day marks. My recommendation is to transit both Kent and Knapps Narrows at a rising tide as close as possible to high tide..gather as much local knowledge and go slow while transiting. I was very surprised that there where no USCG 'Local Notices to Mariners' had been issued nor any temp bouage had been placed..I guess the area businesses are happy with the situation at hand..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook