SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011

CALIX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CALIX
I have a 5'7" draft and have the same the issues with the north Kent Narrows channel. I went out the north at high tide on 6/1 and stayed on the edge of the channel to the far right, on the line with the green markers. I had 8'0" at the #3 marker, I mean really, right next to it and then the depth went to 7'0"
at the mid point between #1 and #3. So the message is stay on the green side of the channel - a big problem for those headed into the Narrows from the north on a busy Red Eyes day.

I did see a sailboat aground in the middle of the channel the previous day as the tide was going out. A sport fish was attempting to help and I assume was finally successful. It's going to be a long summer with sailboats getting stuck in the channel and causing a navigation hazard. Not to mention a serious bummer for easy recreating.

The south channel I can't say is significantly better, but yet no one has reported bumping along. I came in about an hour before high tide on 6/30 and had 6'6" or so. It's just in the one spot where the chart indicates it will be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook