SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knapps and Kent Narrows shoaling
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 06-06-2011
CALIX

Send a message via Skype™ to CALIX
I have a 5'7" draft and have the same the issues with the north Kent Narrows channel. I went out the north at high tide on 6/1 and stayed on the edge of the channel to the far right, on the line with the green markers. I had 8'0" at the #3 marker, I mean really, right next to it and then the depth went to 7'0"
at the mid point between #1 and #3. So the message is stay on the green side of the channel - a big problem for those headed into the Narrows from the north on a busy Red Eyes day.

I did see a sailboat aground in the middle of the channel the previous day as the tide was going out. A sport fish was attempting to help and I assume was finally successful. It's going to be a long summer with sailboats getting stuck in the channel and causing a navigation hazard. Not to mention a serious bummer for easy recreating.

The south channel I can't say is significantly better, but yet no one has reported bumping along. I came in about an hour before high tide on 6/30 and had 6'6" or so. It's just in the one spot where the chart indicates it will be.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome