SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Location Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011

steveoscaro is on a distinguished road
Boat Location Dilemma

Hi all, I've been lurking around these forums for a while now, and finally have to throw out this dumb question.

A little background: I'm 26 yrs old, and have decided to give up the office life before I get entrenched and do the whole live-aboard life for some time. All through college I worked on commercial fishing boats, so I'll be doing that again this summer, and if all goes well, buy a sailboat in the fall.

So my question for those of you who have been in a similar situation: Although I have plenty of 'boat' experience, I don't have much sailing experience, so what are my options if I find my 'dream' boat in the Great Lakes or Maine (I ask because I'm hoping to spend my first year learning and preparing on the west coast or the Gulf coast)? If you aren't a seasoned sailor, did you limit your boat search to your neck of the woods? I'm looking in the 28-35 ft range, so there's hope it could be trailerable. My budget is <20K, so I don't want to spend thousands to have the boat relocated...

I know there's no easy answer, but I'm still hoping someone pulls out a silver bullet

-Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook