SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
all of the advice to get an H16 comes from people who already know how to sail. I too like the 16's better but they are bad boats for a complete beginner. They WILL overpower them. They WILL capsize them. They WILL have trouble getting them upright again.

I got a Hobie Wave for the visitors at my house for three reasons

1. Though you cant repair plastic, it is pretty nearly bulletproof and wont need repairs. I have had a wave for 5 years and it is pretty near impossible to break the plastic hulls. Believe me, my teenage son and his friends tried and if it were easy they would have done it.

2. It is very forgiving for new sailors. No boom means they can't kill themselves (unlike an H16 or the others like it) and it is hard to capsize - it has more buoyancy than the fiberglass boats do. There is a good reason that this is the boat the resorts rent out.

3. It is fast. Maybe not as fast as a 16 but plenty fast for a beginner (or for me most of the time) with the added benefit that a Wave can go out in winds that would keep the 16's on the beach. It is an inherently safer boat.

As for righting it, get a collapsible canvas bucket to add weight.

And do get beach wheels. You will want them. A getaway would be impossible without and a wave difficult.

and if it were up to me, i would get two waves instead of one getaway. then you can race!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook