SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
While I can't agree that that all of the posters suggesting Hobies...

had sailed before; I suspect many of them, myself included learned on a Hobie 16 (a Prindle 16 was my first boat, not counting a 2 hour rental on a Sunfish).

That said, I'm not sure cats are a good choice in general. If there isn't enough wind to power them up--and they don't come to life until you can get one hull light in the water--they aren't much fun. If there is enough wind, they are really for people who want to sail with gusto.

I would start asking about small monohulls, like the Laser and Sunfish; they are popular for good reasons. I would NOT be comfortable letting a non-cat sailor borrow a beach cat on a breezy day. Most rentals shut down if there is enough wind (more than 10 knots) to be interesting.

Better yet, have then sail on the intracoastal side. They've no business on the Gulf or Ocean unless they KNOW they can right the boat.

I should have read the OP more closely.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook