SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Location Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011

steveoscaro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Steve,
I currently live on the Gulf Coast (midway between Panama City and Destin), and I can confirm that there are plenty of bargains to be had. Moreover, there are a few DIY boatyards that offer incredible rates. Boats in the length you're considering, however, probably won't be trailer-able. What you may want to consider is getting an older production boat, say a Beneteau, Catalina or Pearson that is in decent condition, and fixing her up. Haul her, do all the necessary below-waterline hull work, splash her, then spend the winter in a liveaboard marina doing all the above waterline repairs while you learn to sail her proficiently. You'll have yourself a ball. Storm season in these parts, I should add, is more than a littlte worrisome.

Good luck!
Thanks sailhog. That's my general plan - older production boat (with blue water potential), dry dock for a bit, then winter in the water. It seems that this would all be cheaper on the Gulf coast than California, right?
In my researching, I found this table from some old magazine article that is the result of their number crunching to find the best value blue water boats around. I'm curious what everyone things of this list. I haven't seen Colombia mentioned much when people ask for deep sea-worthy boats.
And yeah, that Pearson's a beauty! If only I had the patience to wait another year...

Less Than $25,000

ERICSON 29
$14500

COLOMBIA 30
$10000

BRISTOL 30
$19000

CAPE DORY 28
$20000

DOUGLAS 32
$23000

COLOMBIA 34