SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011

danielt63 is on a distinguished road
I have sailed the Wave, Getaway and the Hobie 16 out of the sailing center I am a member of. Based on your implication that the people sailing the boat will not likely get into sailing, the Wave is probably the best choice of the three.

Wave: Simple to rig and sail and it can easily handle three adults or two adults and two children. I have seen two kids capsize this boat (160# total crew weight,) but it is generally very difficult to put this boat on its side. If someone develops even a remote interest in sailing well, (s)he will quickly get frustrated with the boat's lack of sail adjustments.

Getaway: Also easy to rig, but as you surmised it's too heavy for one person to manhandle on the beach. The mainsheet traveller allows for better sail control, and multiple clew positions allows you to tune the sails for different wind conditions (and of course you can always furl the jib if things get harry or only one person will be sailing.) I capsized once and found the boat impossible to right by myself but two could right it easily.

Hobie 16: This boat is much faster than either of the other two and more technical with jib sheet block tracks, battons in the jib, and an outhaul on the main. I'd hesitate to allow a beginner to sail this boat alone. I haven't capsized this one so I can't say much about it in that regard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook