SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Videos of Moderate to High Crosswind/Current Docking?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
My boat has a fair amount of windage. I also should mention that I leave my dock lines in my slip when I take the boat out.

In a cross wind, I have my hands full. My Initial solution was already been mentioned above. Turn the boat (bow in) before the slip, wait for the cross wind to blow you down and then time gunning the engines as the boat slides by the slip. This method is hair raising at best.

What I finally settled on was turning the boat (bow in) just before my slip, and allowing the wind to blow the boat about 1/2 a boat width past the slip. Then crank up the engines and motor partially into the wind as I make the turn into the slip, making sure to use the boat hook to grap the upwind dock line first.

It's slow and easy, more importantly, it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 06-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook