SailNet Community - View Single Post - Turning dreams into reality; How much should I save?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011

PGnehm is on a distinguished road
Arrow Turning dreams into reality; How much should I save?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to send out a quick message to introduce myself to the forum and to pick the community's 'brain' about liveabords.I'm a young 26 year old guy who has been interested in sailing for years but am not getting more serious about the possibility about living abord a sailboat. I grew up in Seattle and have always loved the water.

My sailing experience has been limited by the fact that I haven't had a boat of my own, ever. Although, I have windsurfed for roughly 10 years. I also have sailed Hobie 18s for a few years also. Last summer I was lucky enough to be given the chance to race with a crew aboard a 24' boat on Lake Washington a few times. So I guess I'd say I'm somewhere in between a noob and intermediate sailor.

Right now, my girlfriend and I live in Colorado, far far away from any major body of water. She has never set foot on a boat although, when I told her my desire to liveabord a boat and go sailing, she thought it would be a great experience and adventure. Since both of us don't even own a couch, and essentially everything we own can fit into each of our cars, I figure that now would be an good time to move from land to sea. My goal would be to purchase a boat from someone who has already been living aboard, since everything would be set up. Now, the only thing is to put our plan into action.

The plan so far:
Date until move: roughly 1.5 years
Budget: +-25,000 CASH for a boat (by saving for roughly 1.5 years)
Boat: 32'-35' boat (preferrably a pilothouse sailboat with an inboard)
Mooring Location: Bellingham, WA. (most likely) or Bellevue WA (Grandma owns a dock in Bellevue that's big enough for a 45'er and its free!)
Fixing things: I am pretty good with my hands and can fix quite a few things. I used to work as an automotive tech for a few years, so I'm pretty mechanically inclined (can rebuild small engines, exe).

So, let me throw this out there what else am I missing to turn this dream into a reality? Is that a reasonable expectation for a budget?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook