SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Location Dilemma

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  steveoscaro 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've been lurking around these forums for a while now, and finally have to throw out this dumb question.

A little background: I'm 26 yrs old, and have decided to give up the office life before I get entrenched and do the whole live-aboard life for some time. All through college I worked on commercial fishing boats, so I'll be doing that again this summer, and if all goes well, buy a sailboat in the fall.

So my question for those of you who have been in a similar situation: Although I have plenty of 'boat' experience, I don't have much sailing experience, so what are my options if I find my 'dream' boat in the Great Lakes or Maine (I ask because I'm hoping to spend my first year learning and preparing on the west coast or the Gulf coast)? If you aren't a seasoned sailor, did you limit your boat search to your neck of the woods? I'm looking in the 28-35 ft range, so there's hope it could be trailerable. My budget is <20K, so I don't want to spend thousands to have the boat relocated...

I know there's no easy answer, but I'm still hoping someone pulls out a silver bullet :D

-Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
My thoughts are buy within sailing range of your home port.

The wife and I looked on the west coast because we live in southern California. As it turned out all of the boats that we have purchased have been within 130 NM of our home port. An easy sail and close to the coast in the event of something happening on your "new" boat.

There are a LOT of great deals to be had for a buyer these days. No reason why you can't find a bargain where you are.

#3 ·
Thank you for the input, tomperanteau.

As I don't have any predefined home port, just a region, I suppose I'll have plenty of boats to consider. West Coast/Gulf Coast covers a lot of territory.

On another general approach topic - If you were a novice like me, wanting to spend a year or two learning to sail your boat before visiting a different continent, which coast would you prefer to be based on? The Gulf Coast obviously appeals due to access to the Caribbean (not to suggest it's a short jaunt from TX to San Blas), but it would be nice to have to avoid hurricane season. I know this is a ridiculously vague question, but where should a novice learn?

Other than Alaska, I've spent most my life in Colorado, hence my ignorance.

#4 ·
Thank you for the input, tomperanteau.

As I don't have any predefined home port, just a region, I suppose I'll have plenty of boats to consider. West Coast/Gulf Coast covers a lot of territory.

On another general approach topic - If you were a novice like me, wanting to spend a year or two learning to sail your boat before visiting a different continent, which coast would you prefer to be based on? The Gulf Coast obviously appeals due to access to the Caribbean (not to suggest it's a short jaunt from TX to San Blas), but it would be nice to have to avoid hurricane season. I know this is a ridiculously vague question, but where should a novice learn?

Other than Alaska, I've spent most my life in Colorado, hence my ignorance.
Actually... I am a novice, or at least I consider myself to be. Only been sailing for three years (1800 NM). However in those three years and three boats I have learned how to do in-depth inspections, and have looked at more boats than I can remember while looking for our next.

As far as which coast, I was born and raised in Houston so we frequented trips to the coast and rented a beach house every summer. I am very familiar with the entire Texas coast. To me it's almost a toss up. In the Gulf you have a lot of coast to explore and of course the Bahamas and other islands. That is VERY attractive. The Gulf can be a bit meaner than the open ocean in that the wave intervals can be shorter and pound you more because of the shallower water there, but the open ocean has its anomalies too.

The west coast has several islands, San Francisco Bay, and then Baja to the south to explore, then Canada and north too. Then you have the Pacific islands to the west. Some of the atols are so beautiful and we have mapped out our plans to see them. And you have a straight shot (well, kinda) to Hawaii and New Zealand/Australia. Those two are must-sees for us, too.

It's all about personal preference when you get right down to it. One thing I really miss about the Gulf is that it is much warmer (hotter) than southern California. It can stay fairly cool here for a long time. Example is that down at the coast it is in the upper 60's right now, and the high will be around 68. Combine that with a fresh breeze and some sea spray coming over the bow and you have to wear a sweater all the time. It isn't warm enough to dawn shorts until around mid to late July. That's why when the wife and I break out of here for good, we'll head south. We want warmer weather and she is a total fisherman. She loves to fish, so we will have to be in warmer waters to satisfy her.

Keep us posted on what your plans are.

#5 ·
Thanks again for the reply. Where do you plan to sail to when you leave Southern Cal?

I'm torn because although the Gulf has more immediate appeal in terms of a variety of close locations while learning the ropes, I'm interested in the South Pacific/western coast of South America/SE Asia than Europe/Africa/Brazil. But there's always the canal, so maybe long term plans shouldn't dominate the decision, eh?

Another factor is that I'll be working summers in SE Alaska. After a year might be able to take a boat up there rather than fly again and again. BUT that also means I'd be missing most of storm season in the Gulf anyway...

On a side note, I just today received in the mail a glorious bundle of books: John Vigor's "Twenty Small Boats to Take You Anywhere" Hal Roth's "How to Sail Around the World" and Hayden's "Wanderer" :)

#6 ·
Steve,
I currently live on the Gulf Coast (midway between Panama City and Destin), and I can confirm that there are plenty of bargains to be had. Moreover, there are a few DIY boatyards that offer incredible rates. Boats in the length you're considering, however, probably won't be trailer-able. What you may want to consider is getting an older production boat, say a Beneteau, Catalina or Pearson that is in decent condition, and fixing her up. Haul her, do all the necessary below-waterline hull work, splash her, then spend the winter in a liveaboard marina doing all the above waterline repairs while you learn to sail her proficiently. You'll have yourself a ball. Storm season in these parts, I should add, is more than a littlte worrisome.

Good luck!

#8 ·
Steve,
I currently live on the Gulf Coast (midway between Panama City and Destin), and I can confirm that there are plenty of bargains to be had. Moreover, there are a few DIY boatyards that offer incredible rates. Boats in the length you're considering, however, probably won't be trailer-able. What you may want to consider is getting an older production boat, say a Beneteau, Catalina or Pearson that is in decent condition, and fixing her up. Haul her, do all the necessary below-waterline hull work, splash her, then spend the winter in a liveaboard marina doing all the above waterline repairs while you learn to sail her proficiently. You'll have yourself a ball. Storm season in these parts, I should add, is more than a littlte worrisome.

Good luck!
Thanks sailhog. That's my general plan - older production boat (with blue water potential), dry dock for a bit, then winter in the water. It seems that this would all be cheaper on the Gulf coast than California, right?
In my researching, I found this table from some old magazine article that is the result of their number crunching to find the best value blue water boats around. I'm curious what everyone things of this list. I haven't seen Colombia mentioned much when people ask for deep sea-worthy boats.
And yeah, that Pearson's a beauty! If only I had the patience to wait another year...

Less Than $25,000

ERICSON 29
$14500

COLOMBIA 30
$10000

BRISTOL 30
$19000

CAPE DORY 28
$20000

DOUGLAS 32
$23000

COLOMBIA 34
$24000

#9 ·
Try also a Schock 35 - better performance than what you listed

Or a New York 36 - rather lux compared to the boats you list, but you can buy for a bargain.

#10 ·
Since you are working in the summer, my vote would be for the Gulf. Lots of choices for the winter - Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean.

At your size and price range, you are looking at a project boat. Expect to put a lot of time and money into it before its ready for a "blue water" passage.

#11 ·
Since you are working in the summer, my vote would be for the Gulf. Lots of choices for the winter - Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean.

At your size and price range, you are looking at a project boat. Expect to put a lot of time and money into it before its ready for a "blue water" passage.
Yeah, it certainly seems to make more sense. I guess my main reservation is the desire to eventually sail the Pacific, but that is a couple years out still, so I shouldn't let that dominate this more immediate decision. Plenty of time to get over there, I suppose.

And yeah, I'm planning on putting a year's worth of time and some money on fixing up whatever I end up with. Although, not to sound too naive, I'm getting the impressing that if I wait for the right deal, $15,000 has a chance of getting me something that isn't going to require massive, fundamental modifications to be that seaworthy, especially in the shorter length boats. I'm definitely willing to sacrifice comfort and aesthetics for a solid little boat.

#13 ·
Steve,
That listing gives remarkably few details. Bear in mind that it's very easy to buy a boat that actually has negative value -- meaning that, from a strict economic point of view, it would make a better reef than a boat. Keep poking around and enjoy the process of boat shopping. It never gets old.

#15 ·
Steve,

Learning to sail out of LA Harbor has some advantages. The winds are very predictable:very light wind in the morning. You can learn at slow speeds while you need to think about everything you do. Winds pick up around 1:00 so stay out later when you get the hang of things. Winds get much stronger from 2:30 to about 5 when you feel you are ready for it. After that start sailing to Catalina (four hours each way) and later to the Channel Islands for some long runs and more experience.

John
PSC 31 #28

#18 ·
S.F Bay is a great place to learn. As great as it is it isn't the ocean. I was told if I could sail S.F I could sail anywhere. I honed my skills, and left for Mexico. The ocean is just different, and in a good way.

Anywhere on the east coast, or gulf will get you to the Bahamas. One of this earths greatest, and prettiest cruising grounds. Especiialy since in a few hours you will be someplace completely different. It will take a lifetime to see it all. Which ever way you go, and what ever you buy. BEST WISHES.......i2f

#20 ·
Great idea

This is a great idea and I say this partially because I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am 25 and just bought my boat, a 1981 30' Lippincott. I got it for 8k because it has been sitting and the sails were shot, but the interior is immaculate and all the systems are in good working order. It has been a bit of elbow grease to get cleaned up, but my survey came through to value it as it sits at 14k so I think it was a good deal. Basically I will be out the door at about 15k with a really solid boat that will be of the value. This being said I took 2 years to find the boat I wanted and to buy it. My advice is look at what you want in a boat and see if any really spark your enthusiasm, this one to me screamed buy it and that is whats important that you love what you buy. I also read Nigel Calders Cruising Handbook which helps lay out what you want in a cruising boat, why different things are good, and how they work. With this I narrowed down my search because I knew nothing of all the different brands, but this let me pick out attributes and see who fit the bill.

I was also looking at this boat which is know is a bit out of your way, but the price seemed really good for what it is and it has been on the market for quite a while, if they didn't take the offer on the boat I bought this was my next offer.
Bristol Centerboard Sloop

Well I certainly wish you the best and make sure to keep us posted on the progress.

#22 ·
This is a great idea and I say this partially because I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am 25 and just bought my boat, a 1981 30' Lippincott. I got it for 8k because it has been sitting and the sails were shot, but the interior is immaculate and all the systems are in good working order. It has been a bit of elbow grease to get cleaned up, but my survey came through to value it as it sits at 14k so I think it was a good deal. Basically I will be out the door at about 15k with a really solid boat that will be of the value. This being said I took 2 years to find the boat I wanted and to buy it. My advice is look at what you want in a boat and see if any really spark your enthusiasm, this one to me screamed buy it and that is whats important that you love what you buy. I also read Nigel Calders Cruising Handbook which helps lay out what you want in a cruising boat, why different things are good, and how they work. With this I narrowed down my search because I knew nothing of all the different brands, but this let me pick out attributes and see who fit the bill.

I was also looking at this boat which is know is a bit out of your way, but the price seemed really good for what it is and it has been on the market for quite a while, if they didn't take the offer on the boat I bought this was my next offer.
Bristol Centerboard Sloop

Well I certainly wish you the best and make sure to keep us posted on the progress.
Congratulations on finally finding your boat. Sounds like you found yourself a great deal. Are you living on it? What are you plans with it?

I actually also found the ad for that Bristol 35. Definitely appealing, but a centerboard is not so good if you want to go offshore, right? I'll look into that book, thanks for the recommendation. It's cool to hear from someone succeeding down my planned path. Best of luck to you too.

And thanks puddinlegs, I'll make sure to look into the Cal 34s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.