SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swivel Shackle or Not?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Never having used a swivel I am on the one hand tempted to try one out but on the other wonder what is their value ?

OTOH, I hear a lot of white noise in regard to swivels failing and the pins not being up to the job yet I see and/or hear of so very very few reported cases of actual failure that I do wonder if much of the muttering is nowt more than hoo ha.

In all my years of anchoring out (though not as many times as I might have liked) I've most certainly had anchors drag yet not once have I had a component fail, even with boats where the quality of the ground tackle was most certainly in question.
They have absolutely NO value, IMHO - other than perhaps allowing an anchor to "flip" over into the proper orientation when coming up over a roller... Anyone too lazy to deal with that manually, well, they deserve whatever might be the result of introducing something as needless as a swivel into their ground tackle system....

There have been many documented instances of failures of swivels, their main problem stems from the difficulty of properly inspecting them, many of the components are hidden from view even upon dis-assembly... And, if you're using hi-test chain, chances are any appropriately sized stainless swivel will be the weakest link in your system... ACCO makes a hi-test galvanized swivel sized for 1/4" hi-test, otherwise they are extremely hard to come by...

Boggles the mind how often I see swivels clamped right to an anchor , without any intervening bow shackle, just begging for a side load upon the anchor stock to pry the jaws of the swivel apart, or induce an eccentric load on another part of the swivel, a disaster waiting to happen...

KISS, a single bow shackle between anchor and chain, there is no reason to add additional complexity and potential points of failure, IMHO...

Here's just one recent cautionary tale:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook