SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I don't lead the lines aft. It helps that my boat is heavy and steady on her helm. I set my mizzen first and strike it last. With that set I can walk forward to handle the halyards at the mainmast. Like a previous poster, I try to allow myself time and take my time. Haste is the enemy of the sailor.
In general, I agree with you that haste is the enemy of the sailor. Take as long as you need to to set up for docking (for example), make a pass or two to assess the situation, adjust the lines and docking plan, think out a Plan B in case things go wrong. Not doing these things, or haphazardly doing them in haste is likely to create problems. But, there comes a point where one has to execute his actions smartly and quickly (i.e. fast) or there will be consequences. Once you start the docking, let's say you are going bow first and are going to drop a pretied spring line over the outer slip piling. Even at 1-2 kts., and especially if there is cross wind or current, the window of opportunity to get that spring line over the piling is very brief. You will get only one, possibly two attempts. Take too long in doing it, and you've got a new set of problems....how to stop that boat before damage is done.

In my earlier post regarding someone having difficulty in lowering the mainsail, I used the term fast. The referenced post was that the poster had difficulty getting his sail down without a downhaul because the boat fell off and the sail filled while he was trying to drop it, creating additional forces. The suggestion was:

1) coat the sail slugs/slides and sail track with Sailkote. It is expensive but it really works to lower friction.

2) describing that if he could keep the sail luffing, it would be easier to get down, and that in my own experience, getting the sail down quickly before the boat dropped off (he now has a autopilot to prevent this, but many do not) and sail filled was the best way. Again, take as long as you need to set up, but once you release the halyard, let the sail come down smartly (i.e. quick). Otherwise, most fin keel boats will drop off, filling the sail and creating the forces he was dealing with.

Summary...most of the time haste is bad, but sometimes fast is needed. And good planning and execution will seek to minimize the times that fast is needed.

Last edited by NCC320; 06-09-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook