SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkiester View Post
These are inspiration posts for a new boat owner who will probably be single-handing a bit. I have a simple question, what are the best techniques for picking up a mooring single-handed. Also what are the best ways to shove off from a mooring single-handed. I've done this several times in a Rhodes 18 (yes 18) but don't feel that I am good at it. I would walk it back until I felt cnfortable cranking up the engine. Or sail off at times. Now I have a Luders 33. Seems like I should have better technique for the bigger less forgiving boat.
William, I use a mooring in a small crowded harbor. I start my motor and warm it up while uncovering the sails. I watch the wind and current, also the traffic waiting for a safe window. The wind and current are going to determine which way the boat falls off. When I'm ready, I drop the pendant and walk back aft to power off. Usually I put the helm over as soon as engaging the engine to clear the mooring. If sailing off I still have the engine idling in neutral for safety.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook