SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cost effective options for receiving weather reports while sailing
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
Cost effective options for receiving weather reports while sailing

I understand that the equipment needed is determined by how far offshore you may be sailing. However, I am trying to determine how to install the weather receiving capability in phases that make sense (by being able to expand or update) as my sailing goes from coastal to offshore. I am aware of the offshore standard of using a SSB radio and modem to receive weather fax or voice reports...but that is a $3-5,000 investment, right?

Currently, and for the next year or so, I will be coastal cruising in the 60 to 20 mile offshore range...mostly within 20. The Garmin GDL 30a XM weather/radio receiver/antenna package at about $300-400 will apparently provide decent weather information within 20 miles. But if that is installed now, will it simply have to be swapped out for another entire system to obtain unlimited access to weather as I start to venture across oceans?

Any thoughts on the best plan to build a state of art weather receiving capability?