SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Hunter 27 for first Sailboat
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011

aeronca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
While they are over your budget, 2 things to keep in mind.

One, they sell for less than asking. Maybe 20% less at a guess.

Two, the less you spend on a boat, the more upgrades it may need, for reliability, safety, and convenience. Things like 30 year old rigging, old wiring that might need replacing or upgrading. Not to mention things like soft decks and other problems.
Yeah, I'm already trying to figure such things into the equation, which is what keeps bringing me back to the Hunter. The asking price is 9900. and in this price range it looks to need the least stuff to make it ready to go. Now this is just with seeing it with my not so trained eye. I keep thinking there must be some issue with it that I'm not seeing. (we will have it looked at/surveyed by someone).

So thats why this boat is interesting to us. We have looked at quit a few boats so far and what we see in general is once below 9-10k the boats are pretty rough and by the time you repair/replace things your up into the price range of a nicer boat. Of course I figure any boat you buy will require some additional money put into it. So while looking at one of those CS27s seems awful tempting, I'm thinking even at maybe being able to get one at a bit less than asking price, we will still put a bit more into it.

I have looked at a C&C 27 here where the asking price is another 50% above the hunter and while the boat maybe 50% more boat, it is in much rougher shape/has an Atomic 4, needs this and that, etc etc. So now we are significantly over our budget. And yes I realize that with a budget this low the pickings are slim, hence asking about a hunter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook