SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I learned to sail on an H16 with no experience. I can rig and right one solo. Granted I am not a small guy (6'2" 230lbs when I owned the boat) but there are several inexpensive aids (righting line) and some easy to learn techniques to right them. $1000 - $2000 will buy you a decent used one. The Hobie forum is very helpful (wish they were around when I started sailing) and almost anywhere you see boats someone has sailed an H16 so getting help and advice is easy.

I plan to get one for my daughter when she is old enough... OK it's for me too. I think it helped me become a better mono sailor since I had to fully understand sail trim and think ahead of the boat or uncomfortable things would happen.

The best part is the thrill of flying a hull while trapping out. You just don't get that feeling on any mono dinghy.

If you decide to go for a used H16, pm me and I will be glad to share some advice on what to look for. Also, take a look at the hobie forum and they will be glad to help. I find beach cat sailors to be the most friendly and helpful around. I even saw experience racers helping a rookie to tune his boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook