SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Funny race story.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Silvio 
#1 ·
I did my first racing yesterday...had a blast!!!

We do a PHRF pursuit start...I was scratch boat for my class. Rounded the jibe mark and saw a fleet of purse seiners between me and the line but there was a gap allowing me to run straight for the line. About 1/2 way I notice a small boat off the starboard bow moving right to left, I'm watching close cause it could be an issue and notice he's laying net. YIKES -- this guys building a fence between me and the mark. I start easing up some, the fleet is quickly approaching and also starts heading up some. I keep watching this guy laying net and when we're about 75' away and now parallel to his course he stops, looks at me and nods. COOL!! I turn direct to the mark again and as I pass his bow he shouts "You trying to beat them?" and I reply "Yeah, we're racing!". He replies "OK" and gunned the throttle laying more net in front of the closing race fleet! There was an impressive display of jibing and close quarter racing for a bit.:D After 150' or so he stopped and the fleet got by him. :D

In the end I ended up 3rd out of 4 (with a crew of nurses who had never sailed before) and we all had a good laugh when I told the others about the conversation with the fisherman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.