SailNet Community - View Single Post - Photo request / owner opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0keman View Post
The water I will be sailing on is the Biloxi Bay and is normally smooth, but very shallow (spent 9 hours one day stuck in the silt waiting a tow). But then it dumps to the Gulf of Mexico and then it ust depends on the day. I'm more into chilling out on my boat than I am into sailing it. Plus this model has a head and shower.

Anyone else have any reccomendations or words of advice about this boat or boats of this size in general? I've made about every mistake possible with a trailer sailor.
We moved up to the Catalina 30 from a 22-footer trailer sailor and don't regret it one bit. I researched boats in the 30-32 foot range for two years before I narrowed it down to two or three.

We're both tall and there's plenty of headroom. Catalina isn't the fastest boat on the water but we knew that going in. We wanted the cabin space instead.

Ours is a fin keel with a 5'3" draft. The draft limits us in some ways but, unlike the wing keel, we can usually plow through the sand and muck on the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. Other keels, due to their shape, get stuck more easily. We pay close attention to tide tables.

Systems are old yet simple to repair. Our boat is a 1980 and we were fortunate to get one after they started installing diesel engines.

There is a Catalina 30 Yahoo email group that is extremely active and posts stay on topic, which is nice. This boat has a lot of support from both the manufacturer and other owners and that was also figured into our decision to buy one.

We just started our second full season as the owners and I'm finally making it more "ours" than the previous owner's.

We belong to a Catalina club on the Chesapeake and I already started scoping out our next Catalina. Our broker told us that just about everyone he sold a Catalina 30 to came back in a few years and moved up to a larger Catalina. That told us a lot about the brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook