SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foul Weather Gear
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The velcro around the wrists is nice but really doesn't keep the water out like a proper latex or ureathane cuff does. If it s raining or you have the boat heeled over, and water splashing into the cockpit, you will quickly get very cold if you have water coming into the jacket via the sleeves. I've worn my Musto jacket when it was snowing and freezing rain and not had a problem with being wet. I think that it is worth investing in decent foul weather gear that has the appropriate design features for a marine environment—like retro-reflective patches, water-tight cuffs, etc.

Marine foul weather gear, layered properly with fleece and such, you can stay fairly warm in even the worst conditions—provided you can stay dry. Water wicks heat away from the body 25x more efficiently than does air. Staying dry in cold weather sailing is the only option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook