SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morris
Thread: Morris
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Yacht's are different.

I remember an old Jean Shepard's America where he defines a yacht (if you're not old like me, bet you can find these on youtube).

He describes a scene as a young boy sitting near a waterway with his dad. Watching working boats go by, eventually a boat goes by his dad describes as a yacht. He asks his dad what a yacht is. He says that "a yacht is a boat that doesn't do anything." It doesn't carry cargo, it doesn't fish for profit, .......

No one needs a yacht. No one needs to do business with a particular builder. We do this because we enjoy the entire experience. This includes choosing, buying, conversations with others about boats, reading posts on sailnet, working with builders, working with brokers, getting things just right on the boat you own right now, dreaming about the next boat, sailing, cruising, racing, passage making, grilling off the stern rail,.... It's all good. The right boat for you is different than the right boat for me. That's part of what makes it fun.

I'm on boat 5 now, which happens to be a Morris. Morris is old time Maine, do business with a handshake, deliver what you promise, quality and care beyond the specification, pride in workmanship, a personal connection with everyone from layup through paint; not lawyers and contracts, not hubris, about quietly doing the right thing.

Yup, I'm a biased happy owner, and through that process have a number of friends up in Bass Harbor. No other affiliation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook