SailNet Community - View Single Post - Windspeed indicator not working - go without?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011

glimmerglasspeg is on a distinguished road
Windspeed indicator not working - go without?

As so many boats are, SO's sailboat is a yearly issue. It is a 2002? 28' Catalina Mark II? and in port on the coast of Maine. When purchased 3 years ago he didn't have a survey done before buying it as it appeared well taken care of. From day one she's had an arm's length list of issues - primarily from things not being used and not maintained - engine, water system, GPS, etc.

He is not handy - has had most issues addressed as they come about, but everything is done by a boatyard, as well as "leaves it up to me" to help him remember items and clean, organize, and prepare for a sail. We're both slobs on land, but I know you have to have things in place and working on a ship. We are both novice sailors - he probably has a bit more expertise - but I have enough to see warning signs, or to be able to relax, and be a responsive hand to an experienced captain.

Last year the windspeed indicator failed. Several items have been done over the winter, but it looks like this wasn't addressed. Now SO doesn't want to have to take the mast down and have it rigged again if it's a problem on top. Says "you really don't need one". Since purchasing her, he has repeatedly discussed taking overnight trips up and down the coast, but I have balked going out on the open sea until I am more confident with this combination of captain and ship.

I've responded I'd consider overnights once we got a few successful day trips completed. And in as busy a port area as we live in, with choppy seas, plenty of fog, heavy commercial traffic, and my lack of confidence in his having sailing skills adequate enough to remove us from an emergency situation, I am now concerned about not having this wind indicator in place. Are there really reasonable alternatives to use?

He characterizes me as being a nag. I don't even discuss the boat with him while he's getting anxious about getting it out every year. But I did calmly question his decision to let it go if it means rerigging the boat - we had always relied on it so much previously.

I can't believe that we're already starting the year without all items checked off. I hate raining on his parade, but I do think of my own safety first. I am open to forging ahead if my responses here can enlighten me that the windspeed indicator is not that necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook