SailNet Community - View Single Post - Windspeed indicator not working - go without?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmerglasspeg View Post
However the trip up may take most of one full day, without any errors in navigation, which have happened - with a non-working installed GPS, and dead batteries on a handheld GPS.
Why is the fixed-mount GPS not working? Why not get new batteries for the hand-held GPS?

I'm mildly concerned. You allow as how you leave the captaining up to him, but he's "not handy" and leaves "details" up to you. I'm not saying I never miss anything and that the Admiral doesn't sometimes catch me out, but I make an effort to understand as many aspects about our boat, her condition, the area(s) in which we'll sail and the prevailing conditions as humanly possible.

I'm sorry, but your captain sounds sloppy and, I hope I'm not wrecking a marriage with this, but, IMO, you're right to have concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmerglasspeg View Post
SO is making a huge deal out of this, ...
I'm confused. On the one hand we're given the impression your SO doesn't make a big deal out of "little"/"mundane" things, but now he is?

As to your original question, the wind speed thing: You don't need it. Electronic wind speed and direction devices are primarily needed by racers.

A working GPS, tho... that I'd not leave home without. At least until you were intimately familiar with the waters you're going to be in.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook