SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cost effective options for receiving weather reports while sailing
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmum View Post
Thanks for posting this.
Electronics/Radio set up is greek to me. Slow to get it. So I appreciate it when things are spelled out plainly.
That said, I'm heading to Bahamas in October, and budget only allows Receiver. With this Sony, or the one Auspicious mentioned, whose link I had trouble with, do I need or would additional antennae be useful ? I also wonder what is needed and is possible to receive weather faxes with the receiver only and a Macbook or an iinexpensive but work horse printer.
I crewed for a couple winters on vessel with full SSB and often the reception was terrible... listened to NOAA and CHris Parker dutifully every day - gave me a headache. THere was 2 week period where everyone was getting it wrong and relied on the barometer solely with great success. However, I would like to know what big winter fronts are forming in US West and North for long term forecasts.
Thanks for the assistance.
Vasco is right. What I have also done is connect the antenna input to the standing rigging. A simple wire with clips at the ends would do it. Although not a tuned antenna, this would help a lot. Don't forget to disconnect it when there is lightening around.

I use SeaTTY software on the laptop, but it's PC only. There is Mac software out there that can take the audio through your mic input. You'll also need a male to male cable to plug the output of your receiver to the input of your computer. That will feed the audio into the computer. You can listen to the radio tuning through the Mac speakers.

The only other thing to consider is the audio level you are feeding into the computer. I won't go into the technicalities of the differences in impedance and voltage/wattage. It suffices to say keep the volume low and watch whatever on-screen display that shows you the audio level. It's easy to do and you can't really break anything unless you turn the volume way up and plug it into the computer. That might damage the mic input on the computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook