SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, I am going to post about an unusual boat a boat that I like. Not very rational but who says that sailing is very rational? That's a poet's boat, the kind of boat I would like to own when I get old . No, it is not particularly slow and I bet that it is even faster close to the wind, but its design it is not the best way to get space and performance from a sailboat at an affordable price...and of course I have doubts if you can raise a ballasted 1T keel pulling from the mast. Can the mast take it? Can the winches take it? Maybe I am wrong and in that case the boat is even more interesting

That's a Classic looking boat and I would say a radical: LOA 12m, Beam 3.16, Weight 4000kg, draft 3m, ballast 1000kg. The keel can be lifted and the boat has then 0.65m draft.

Take a look:

I know, some of you are going to say that this is a crazy boat, that it will not sail properly, but you are wrong. This is a boat with a very appropriated name, "L'enfant perdu" and it is designed by Patrick Balta, a French Architect that has also designed a big sister, "L'etoile de l'horizon" (15m) and this one has raced the route du rhum (famous transat) and several other transats.

Some pictures of the big sister:

This baby can make more than 11k close to the wind and 15K at 90º of the wind. Who says that classical looking yachts has to be slow

If you don't believe it take a look at these movies...fast I am telling you

YouTube - ‪route du rhum 1‬‏

YouTube - ‪Etoile Horizon‬‏
the "big sister" is for sale - 120K €
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook