SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Nice drawing, that does help explain a lot. I make a similar approach in a similar boat. The difference is I usually have wind off my aft quarter and I have a large fairway that I can turn around in if I need to. Are you able to toss a line over the outer piling, starbord side as you bring the bow in? That looks to me like the key to keeping you off the finger pier and your neighbor. Possibly even leave a line on the outer starbord pier that you can grab as you get the bow in. For me that is the key to getting in and under control. I leave the cockpit and quickly toss a line on that pier, that allows me to snug the middle of my boat against that piling without pivoting around it. I keep this line cleated to the mid cleat (or the shroud base in my case as I don't have a mid cleat) and wrapped loosely around the cockpit winch. As soon as this line is over the piling I can winch in and the boat doesn't move or pivot. To handle the wave action you can stay a few inches off the piling and the boat should remain stationary without pivoting long enough to grab your dock lines.

Alternatively, if what you are doing currently works for you then you can always pad up the leeward pilings, add an additional downwind buddy line with a fender or two threaded onto it, and go for it.

Hope this helps or at least gives you something to ponder. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook