SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Silvio,

Thanks for your input. This is why I posted this item in the first place. It's a problem that I haven't been able to deal with at higher wind speeds, and I appreciate your suggestions and ideas.....hope others will present some thoughts also.

I agree with you, that if I could get a line over that windward outer piling before we make contact on the downwind piling, we would have control over the whole issue. I think I could do it if the approach was upwind/crosswind instead of downwind/crosswind. In lesser winds, I have tried to go past the slip and turn around and approach upwind. I have abandoned that idea after wind trapped me a couple of times. Worked out ok, but really got dicey.

The fairway approach width is 1.5 times boat length, so there is room to make the turn, but to get in, I have to be at the wheel to first turn rudder to starboard and then to reduce rudder, moving it more back towards centered. In that instant, I am on that downwind piling...I hear people say their boat will stay in place a few minutes in crosswinds, but mine just doesn't. The outer windward piling is still forward of the area where I'm at. And, it is the first or second line I grab (depending what is happening with bow). All this is in seconds.

I tried a harness arrangement for downwind side similar to one you suggested. But with high crosswind, I can't really get far enough into the pier for it to be effective, and I don't need it in lesser wind situations since I can get a line (or pick up a line) on the windward outer piling.

Actually, the boat doesn't fit well in the slip going bow first because given the slip dimensions and boat geometry, I can't get crossed stern lines on the stern to accommodate the wind tides. I only use bow first when winds are high since I have more control over the boat going forward. If I back in (my normal method), the boat fits really well inthe slip.

Last edited by NCC320; 06-16-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook