SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Get creative in padding the leeward piling ...

My marina, my slip and the prevailing winds are almost identical to yours. The primary difference is my finger pier extends all the way out to the leeward piling. From a boat handling standpoint, I don't think you can do anything better/different. I use the bridle `n bumper setup that 'silvio' suggsted.

People that have the slips on either side of me have the same issue that you do and they have tried to mitigate damage from hitting the piling in a number of ways. A good number have used a plastic culvert section (like those pictured below) to "sleeve" the piling.

They use a halyard to install the pipe section in the spring and to remove it again in the fall. Works well for them.

Others have used post/piling bumpers like these -

The truly cost consious use swimming pool "noodles" in place of the fancy post bumpers.

One other item, if you plan on being there a while & the marina allows it, would involve spanning the space between the two leeward pilings with a length of 2 x 12 lumber. You would pad the 2 x 12 with carpet and/or small fenders permenantly attached.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Last edited by MSN2Travelers; 06-16-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook