SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Does your boat turn quickly enough, or is the fairway wide enough to motor past your slip, turn 180 in the fairway, then approach with the bow into the wind?
Yes, it is possible (boat is 32 ft. long and maneuverable, fairway is 50 ft. wide), but I have abandoned that approach, especially if winds are very high. Using the "quick turn" technique where you turn in a tight circle by alternating between going ahead with full rudder and backing down to use prop walk to spin you around, I can/have done it. Problem comes in that some boats are sticking out into the fairway, and fairway is dead ended with some nasty sharp edges on the pier. If you misjudge impact of wind, or get an serious gust or wind direction shift while turning the boat 180 degrees, you can quickly get into a trapped position where you can't complete the turn and can't back away to recover. It's happened to me twice, so I don't go there any more. Both times, I was able to immediately drive ahead into a vacant slip and temporarily dock there, and come back later when wind had died down to move the boat to its own slip. In the future, that empty escape slip might not be available.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook