SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
NCC320
If you can back in like you said you normally do, why can't you use the Windward piling(s) as a pivot point and stop point. I know from your great sketch you have an aft cockpit, but you still should be able to have a line on the piling. I also assume you have a CW rotating wheel(prop) which gives you port prop walk in reverse, making your bow move to SB or away from your neighbor and the finger pier, therefore hard reverse should keep you off the finger pier.
I had a similar problem (10' wide 32' long boat in 30'x 12' slip) last year but with heavy current and I finally just used the outer windward/current pile as a pivot point by throwing a line over it and later just 'hard'lined. The wind will push your aft around to leeward and the bow will go windward all you need is good pole protection and cut her in close and when the line is on reverse her. The windward buddy-line then can be used to pull her in further, and make her fast.
Aren't slips fun

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook