SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring in Lake Huron: The harbour master suggested low-tech...
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Anchoring in Lake Huron: The harbour master suggested low-tech...

Hi All,
I was doing some route planning today and called a harbour master of one place we will be visiting. He felt that in the rocky areas we plan to be, it was highly likely that we will lose an anchor. His suggestion was to forget our Danforth or Bruce and go with a 'disposable'. He says, "Fill a bucket 3/4 full of concrete, put in an eye and then if it gets stuck you just cut it loose and move on. No sense losing an expensive anchor, I've done it for years."

Since this is our first long-cruise, I don't have the experience to know if that's crazy talk or good sense. Where anchoring is concerned, I want to feel secure and want a low-risk solution but that has to be weighed against cost; If I wanted very low-risk, I could just spend the money to be in port every night. I do not want to have to buy 5 new anchors on this trip either.

Any thoughts? We'll be cruising north Lake Huron/Georgian Bay/North Channel through July if all goes to plan.

Sharing your experience anchoring up there would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook