SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Back into or turn around in the fairway and come in with wind on the point leaving the turn to the last moment then with balanced power-wind allowing the boat to drift and come rest against foam noodles.
In the higher winds, 15 -25+, this boat can't be controlled in backing downwind/crosswind, except possibly by backing very fast (i.e. forces exhibited by water on rudder in reverse must be sufficient of offset the wind forces that are trying to spin the boat around). My normal docking is backing down the fairway, but from experience with this particular boat, 15-25+ will be too high for reliable control at a reasonable approach speed. As I explained in one of my earlier posts, it's also too risky in this fairway to to do a turn around in the fairway when there are high, gusty, or shifting winds (can get trapped in a dead end situation that you can't escape). However, assuming it was achieved somehow, coming into the slip with the bow facing up wind would improve the docking situation considerably.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook