SailNet Community - View Single Post - Decisions Decisions - Help me pick the right 1st sailboat!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
I have found a Nissan 6hp - its a mid to early 90s model and has 2 hours of use. Has the built in gas tank. What would thoughts be on that?
We have had several versions of the Nissan engines, a couple of 5hps and currently a 3.5. Largely trouble free and reliable. Basic maintenance, and paying attention to keeping old fuel out of the system is all it takes. Worst thing we had to deal with was clogged jets from dirty fuel, easy to strip and clean carb but some of the jets are rather hidden.

The only other problem with them is that due to popularity they might get stolen (ask how I know... )

Interestingly last time we shopped they were all made by Tohatsu (Nissan, Merc, and a couple of others) but Nissan offered twice the warranty period....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook