SailNet Community - View Single Post - Friendship Sloop
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011

mikewrightoo is on a distinguished road
I have just built and launched a fourty foot on deck fifty foot overall completely traditionally built friendship sloop. it is gaff rigged and sails beautifully and looks lovely. I am a shipwright by trade and now live aboard. I can do my work from the cockpit when tied up. One of the worlds leading magazines has just sent a journalist who documented the fine sailing qualities and appearance. I have owned many fibergalss sailing vessels all with good features, however this boat is truly a ship which takes ten foot seas like a duck. we have strong currents and strong winds on the north west coast, so i have a fifty horse isuzu in it. i dont put up sails in less than ten knots of wind as my idea of sailing means going somewhere....im glad to have built it the sense of history and the exercise are fabulous. Like the many wooden trollers which still populate the coast here, two weeks of bottom painting and touch up are required each year...but i love it..what else do you want to do with your life? This vessel is built with yew wood frames, and the finest stainless fastenings and made fittings, varnish work is kept to a minimum....its got the original work boat painted finish...ill post a pic for you soon. Any boat takes work to keep up and money. Traditionall boats take work and ingenuity or creativity and less money.....I think its great fun and am about to sail around vancouver island.....so thanks all and bye for now sinerely Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook