SailNet Community - View Single Post - Immediate Captain and Crew Needed
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011

peterconway is on a distinguished road
i just recently helped a guy move his boat up the coast. the second day he refrenced to me as his deckhand. it was his boat, he was paying for food and expenses, but to be counted as deckhand i thought was dissrepectful. he fouled the deck with mud, then asked me to clean it up. i refused. helping someone with a cruise, without being compensated does not make one a deckhand. i think some common sense and careful thought, should a good captain have toward his "guest" crew.
most people looking for crew "need" the help. there are a few who just want to share the cruise. i think different rules, or treatment, or sharing of expenses apply. this is how, i would expect most feel. let me know if you agree or disgree, cause i want to crew for the fun of sailing, and i want to start with the right attitude.
how many people out there can just, leave home, get on a boat, take the risk of going to sea, without compensation? and if they can, how do they do it? i had to work, pay bills, and take care of family. it wasnt untill i was 50 years old that i "got lucky" and was able live on residual income. are there people out there, who found a better way, therefore have been able to do this "freestyle crewing" as a way of life? are we freestylers in short supply? give me some input. thanks peter conway 843 847-1899.
p.s. if you need or just want a crewman "i will sail for food." plus a way back to my truck.

Last edited by peterconway; 06-19-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook