SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slightly unorthodox anchoring technique
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I've seen it all...

But last weekend was the funniest one yet. A guy comes into a cove in a Macgregor 26, goes to the bow to launch his Danforth type anchor with about 6 feet of the white, rubber coated chain & a 3/8 rode. He then proceded to do the "Hollywood Toss". He look like he was throwing a shot put. He did this four times and pulled the anchor back "fouled" each time. I finally felt bad that he spent so much time watching people launch anchors on TV that I went over to help.

I explained nicely the concept of how and anchor digs in and how rode works and how you need to be moving backwards before the anchor actually hits the bottom etc etc.. Now keep in mind I did not TELL him how to anchor just explained the concept. The guy was so flamboyanty arrogant he proceded to tell me to "bug off buddy I know how to anchor a boat". I went my merry way because the guy was behind me not in front of me, if he had been in front he would have got an ear full, and I waited. About 9:30 I heard some yelling and saw lights it seems the "know it all" really had no clue how to anchor & dragged into a J Boat who were not real happy. He wound up motoring off in the dark with his wife yelling at him never to be seen again...

The arrogance of sailors with little knowledge cracks me up to no end. So just remeber it's the weight of the water on the rode that keeps you anchored & not the anchor! Not!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook