SailNet Community - View Single Post - newbie needs some advice on which boat to buy
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
A sailing dinghy or a scow of some sort are great boats to learn on. Depending on the boat and your home waters they can be very challenging. Not to say they can't handle some good wind. I watched a 15 year old kid on a sunfish the other day while the winds were in the 20 to 30 mph range. (I think he's a little better sailor than I am but that's another story.)
If you're looking to do some class racing then most dinghy's or scows would be great boats and a lot of fun. What you should also take a moment to think about is what do you want the boat to do? If you just want to take it out for the afternoon then you're looking for the right type of boat or you might want to consider a small catamaran. The trampoline on a small cat is a great place to hang out and offers a little more room should you decide to make a sailing "date" or have more than one friend go with you. The scow and many dinghy's don't really lend themselves well to this type of activity.
Since you already have a little sailing experience and if you think you may want to take friends with you then you also might consider something like a Catalina 22. You can pick those up for a very reasonable price. There are also a lot of other comparables that will give you the ability to spend a night out if you so desire. (Guess you can see there are a lots of options at very reasonable prices.)
So before you get to far into this take a few moments to think about what you really want to do with your new toy. It will help narrow the scope of your search and you'll be a lot happier in the long term with the purchase.
My last piece of advice. Once you decide and purchase something GET OFF THE COUCH, AWAY FROM THE TV AND GO SAILING A LOT!