SailNet Community - View Single Post - North to the Broughtons
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
North to the Broughtons

I was asked to provide some information about getting north the Broughtons.

Remember this area floods south and ebbs north.

Option 1 - Seymour Narrows

This is my least favourite option; I did it on the 2007 Van Isle 360. It would be best to catch the last of the ebb and go through on the turn.

Option 2 - Beazley Passage (Surge Narrows), Octopus Islands, Upper Rapids

There is not sufficient time to clear both Beazley Passage and Upper Rapids in succession. The huge advantage that you can spend time at Octopus Island. Enter Octopus Islands from Bodega Anchorage. Stern-tie in the Islands or go down to Waiatt Bay and swing on the hook. The latter is my preference. Clear Upper Rapids latter that day or the next day.

Option 3 - The Yucultas, Gillard Pass, Dent Rapids

The is my favourite as you can spend less time in Johnstone Strait. I have been nailed at Chatham Point. But it can only be done once a day going north. Twice a day is possible going south.

Arrive at Harbott Point 1 hour before the turn to ebb; i.e., the last of the flood. Stay close to the Stuart Island shore until you get to Kellsey Point. Head across the rapids using the white house as a target and try to catch favourable whirlpools/eddies. Once across stay close to the Sonora Island shore, then right through Gillard Pass and up to Dent Rapids. You should be able to get through before Dent starts to ebb.

Or Yucultas.jpg photo - Jack Dale photos at pbase.com for the large image.

My next stop is Blind Channel Resort. They have a nice facility, if somewhat expensive. But the free WiFi allows me to check conditions in Johnstone Strait, especially Fanny Island. Greene Point Rapids need to be taken on a turn unless you have local knowledge or follow a fish boat through. I usually then go up Wellbore Channel through Whirlpool Rapids which has never presented a problem.

After I get out of Sunderland Channel into Johnstone Strait I will head for Havanna Channel. If I have time I will go to Lagoon Cove Marina for the pot luck which starts at 1700. Or I will anchor in Potts Lagoon (great protection) or Cutter Cove (open to Westerlies). Port Harvey is an option, but there is a logging operation and aquaculture there.

You are in the Broughtons. I have not been to the spots north of there, but they are on my list.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 06-21-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook