SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much experience before...
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
It depends.
So I spent most of my youth working on the ocean, fishing in old worn out working boats, knew I loved the sea, but I didn't know anything about sailing. After my first lesson I knew I wanted to get rid of my Boston Whaler and get a sailboat. I bought a Cal 2-27 for 4400 bucks. It needs work but I sail it nearly every weekend.
Now, that's a big difference compared to some guy with money who buys a 40 foot new yacht and never sailed before. Somewhere in between there is where most inexperienced yacht buyers fall.
Being a sailing sailor versus being a boat owner is like comparing apples and oranges. Owning a boat is a matter of commitment to a vessel, a whole lot of work, even with a new boat.
Once you are out on the water, there is little difference between a boat you own and a chartered one...but I know a lot of people will argue with me, but my point is they all float. Unless you are a livaboard or a long term cruiser, Owning a boat is never a good financial decision from the MBA perspective but it is a matter of looking at how much you want a sailing vessel that is all yours, how much you are willing to commit to in terms of concern, work, research, and stress.

Last edited by benajah; 06-22-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook