SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had to happen. Duc, overturned Phila PA
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Oh, one other thing:

"The Coast Guard changed its rules to require ducks to stay within 300 feet of the Philadelphia shore, instead of 1,000 feet. Sumwalt said that change kept the ducks from moving to the relative safety of the Camden shore; instead, they had to stay in the shipping channel..."

This was exactly my point in my April 19 post - just look at the chart I showed. It seems obvious that it would have been safer to quickly cross the narrow channel than to stay in it for their entire tour south along the Penns Landing area. I had noticed that issue a couple years ago when I did the tour with my son's 6th grade class.

As I said in that message, their new rule since restarting operations in April is that they need to stay within 100 feet of shore. I'm not sure if "shore" is defined as the end of the boat ramp, or the end of the Race Street "Pier" (which is actually a seawall filled in with dirt, so it could be considered "shore"). If the former, that would be safer because they would not even get to the channel, but there's absolutely nothing that any tourist would want to see there. It's like launching a boat on a trailer ramp and not even getting out of the fairway.

Click here
for a satellite pic of the area. You can see the Duck's boat ramp between the pier and the bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook