SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slightly unorthodox anchoring technique
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Some of you should see this video..

I made these videos this past spring after buying yet another anchor in my quest for the ultimate Maine Coast anchor. The video's were done "above water" in an intertidal zone with a very hard sand top layer of about 4 inches and a thick mud substrate. I performed these tests to compare setting charecteristics of my own personal collection of anchors. In all I tested a CQR, Bruce, Delta, Fortress, Spade A-80 (aluminum), Spade S-80 (steel) and a Manson Supreme. Yes I own a lot of anchors but over the years as you buy & sell boats you wind up with a fairly good collection.

I won't bash any anchors but I will name the anchors I no longer use. The CQR, Bruce, Delta & Spade A-80 are no longer on my boat. I use the Manson Supreme as my Primary the Spade S-80 as my secondary and the Fortress as my stern anchor...

There are definately differences in the way all of these anchors penetrate the bottom, how quickly they penetrate and some even hop out after being set. The Manson Supreme which is similar to a Rocna was the clear winner with the Steel Spade coming in second.

To satisfy one of the above posters I'll admit I had no water pressure on the rode to aid in getting these anchors to set but I was at sea level so there was plenty of oxygen to aid the rode??? I suppose if I had done this test at camp 4 on Everest none of them would have set right????

Manson Supreme Video
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...3&ctime=160000

Spade A-80 Video
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...5&ctime=143932

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-11-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook