SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 Pearson P26 Leak
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I owned a Peason 26 for 10 years. The topsides are pretty high for that sized boat. I think you would have to be over 45 degrees or more before the rub rail would be in the water. If you do this regularly you are not sailing the boat very well.
Obviously, boats with more freeboard are going to bury the rail at greater angles of heel. However, saying that you would need to be "knocked down" to do it is a gross exaggeration! I recently crewed aboard a 50 year old, 53 foot Yawl in the Master Mariners Regatta. We probably dipped the rail on that old girl 3 times during the race, on a relatively mild, but gusty day. After all, on a boat with average freeboard, you don't have to be heeled over that far to have a wave bury the rail. In addition, any time you take water over the bow, the rails are going to get wet. Not trying to be argumentative or go off topic. I simply think we should avoid exaggeration, especially when addressing a self described newbie. IMO, the rail, hull/deck joint is certainly a candidate for causing the OP's leak.

Last edited by L124C; 06-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook