SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long island shoreline boulders
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011

Harborbobber is on a distinguished road
Long island shoreline boulders

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I was born and raised on Long Island and thought I knew every nook and cranny.....wrong! I've wandered the shorelines (mostly the North Shore) for thirty years. However, I need help in locating a couple of places. Maybe I've sailed by them many times and the places just did not register.

Does anyone know where these places are along either the north or south shores of Long Island? I inherited these oil paintings from my aunt who lived in Patchouge. They were painted by William Huston, a Long Island seascape artist in the 1880's. If anyone knows, I would like to too! I want to visit the places and see if there has been any change in the view over the last 130 yeras or so. Contact me via e-mail. Happy sailing to all......

PS: Picture 3 shows Huston's signature in the lower left in black paint (sry, hard to see). I don't know which direction Huston was standing when he painted these. The first photo seems to show a sunrise, the other, maybe twilight. I welcome any guesses, hunches, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HUSTON1.JPG (61.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg HUSTON2.JPG (49.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg HUSTON SIGNATURE1.JPG (57.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg HUSTON DETAIL.JPG (61.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Harborbobber; 06-23-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook