SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where do people secure their battery banks?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The broad generalities with Lead acid batteries is that you want the following;
-Located as near to the engine as you can get them:
-Located near the center of buouyancy in the boat and out of the ends of the boat and as close to the centerline as you can conveniently get them:
-They should be in a compartment which is vented but not to the engine compartment or bilge:
-They should be in a cool location which is not subject to flooding:
-They should be in a location where they are easy to inspect (i.e. good light) and refill with water (i.e. no intrutions over the battery.
-They should have a pan to catch any water and acid that spills during filling or heeling.
-The batteries should be lashed down so that they can't rock around or fall out.

Fans have tiny draw compared to starting the engine, or charging the batteries after a start. Keep the batteries near the engine....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook