SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this mechanic trying to pull one over on me?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
Is this mechanic trying to pull one over on me?

I recently had a Honda 9.9 power thrust start making a funny noise and cutting out. I had a repair yard mechanic come have a look at it and when he arrived at the boat it started up on the first pull and ran for around 15 minutes before we shut it down. The previous day it had made a sort of popping sound. The mechanic said he thinks it might be carburation and started spraying some of my carb cleaner in it while I pulled the chord. Now I started to suspect that this guy didn't know what he was doing. He started fiddling with the idle screw and then the motor never started again. He kept dicking around with it not really doing anything of value and then said he wants to take the whole thing back to his shop so I dismounted it. He then said that the motor had no compression. Forgive me if I'm not a mechanic but would the motor have run with no compression for 15 minutes? He struck me as incompetent all around. I have since left the motor with them and have not yet paid them as I feel like they broke or pretended to break a perfectly good engine and are trying to milk me as times are slow. I refuse to play ball and am just going to leave the motor there (I noted he had a boat that motor would have been perfect for of his own and his engine looked about 35 years old). They also charge $100 an hour for time at this yard and for this level of incompetence I feel they should pay me for making a running engine completely dead. I just feel robbed and am debating whether they deserve money for this performance and what might happen if I dont pay. The boat is in a seperate marina from the repair place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook