SailNet Community - View Single Post - Martha's vineyard
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by janina30 View Post
Hi all - I am new to this site..... just looking to see if anyone has any tips for my first 2 wk excursion. Hopefully my 1977 catalina 30 will be up to the trip.

we are taking off out of old lyme marina on the 7/7 to a mooring at the watch hill boat yard. From there to Jamestown for the night of 7/8 where I have reserved a mooring as well at conanicut marina. 7/9 up to Cuttyhunk where I put a reservation in for a slip then on the 10th over to vineyard haven where I have a reservation through the 14th. On the 14th hope to sail around and spend a night in menemsha bight (weather cooperating), then over to block for a few and back to old lyme.

So questions I come up with - how rough is it from MV to BI and how long has it taken - I have the computerized maptech program but I would like some real time information?

2. menemsha sees like a bit of a hassle but worth it? is the only place for a 30' boat with a 6ft draft in the bight where it can be a bit choppy or is the pond deep enough

3. traveling east to buzzards bay - should i go all the way up to woods hole and track backwards to my slip at cuttyhunk or can i go through quicks hole pretty easily

thanks so much for all the interesting information I have already received just by checking out the posts!
-Stacey
Sounds like a great plan. Love each of your stops.

Jamestown: Dinner outside at Trattoria Sympatico -- a bit pricey. The Narragansett Cafe has great blues bands most nights and no cover.

Cuttyhunk is great. Very quiet. We love to have breakfast at the Fisherman's club or Anglers club, or some name like that. It is on a bluff on the Southern part of the island. Awesome views. They only serve breakfast. Make sure you walk up the main street to the old fort at the high point of the island for views of the Harbor and Buzzard's Bay.

Vineyard Haven is great. Art Club for awesome breakfast and lunch. There's also a great place to eat lobster outdoors for cheap at a picnic table on the same strip. Also, Black Dog is fun for dinner, but remember, it's a dry town, so bring your own.

Menemsha is well worth it. One of my favorites. Beautiful sunsets. Great raw bar. Still very quaint fishing village (but busy in high season). But it is very rolly outside, even in good weather. If you call the Chilmark Harbor Master at 7:00 AM (I think) from Cuttyhunk you might be able to get a reservation for that night inside Menemsha. You should be fine with six feet. Ask the Harbolr master when you call. Big tidal rip in and out of the harbor.

Quick's Hole is wide and very manageable. Just make sure you time it right or you won't make much progress. If you don't have Eldridge, buy it.

Have a great trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook